Going nowhere fast


April 24, 2011

MY home, with its view over the water meadows in all their springtime lushness to Salisbury Cathedral, is indescribably dear to me. Yet I am contemplating not only leaving it for 12 months but leaving it to a stranger. For the sums only work if we rent out the house.

 I keep looking at the garden – as close as it gets to perfection after repeated weeding expeditions, before the mare’s tail grass starts filling all the gaps and more – and wondering if a tenant can possibly look after it as I would. Ludicrous, really, since I am not a good gardener, merely an enthusiastic summer gardener. But the thought of coming back and finding an overgrown ruin of what little structure there was is heartbreaking in advance.

We have just celebrated our 32nd wedding anniversary here (cheaply, I hasten to add, since we are saving up!) and when I think that we have lived here since 10 weeks after our younger son (now nearly 20) was born, it is understandable that this is where my heart lies. And yet, even when we come back, if we are ever to realise our dream of a bit of land and a few animals, it can’t be here. The geography is against us.

Another bugbear – I have told a few friends about our half-formed plans but am afraid to be more open about them in case my employers get wind and deem me expendable. In due course I may deem myself expendable but until then we’d rather have my salary coming in!

What a peculiar, in-between world to inhabit for months on end. Every minor triumph and tragedy of the gardening kind seems exaggeratedly important because I won’t be here to see it 12 months hence. How pathetic is that? As if this is the only world there is …………………

No comments:

Post a Comment