Home and away


November 29, 2010

The Dear Leader, with his son and heir watching and learning, has been reminding his neighbours lately that it’s best to leave North Korea well alone.
Which is a particular concern since our own Number One Son is just next door in South Korea, teaching English for a year.

Luckily he’s miles from the action, since he wouldn’t be able to run away very fast with his broken toe. But what kind of a mother would I be if I didn’t worry just a bit?

On the home front, another worry has been looming ever larger since we went on a little jaunt to a dealership in Poole this week. It’s called a Hymer. How on earth am I going to drive such a monster?

Turns out my husband had never even considered the cute camper vans I’d spent hours looking up on the internet. They were, he pointed out, an unrealistic – not to mention claustrophic - option for two adults plus dog to spend a whole year in. 

An afternoon spent clambering in and out of a couple of dozen motorhomes to explore some more commodious possibilities promised to be fun. But a) it was freezing and my feet went dead, and b) every blessed one had a different  internal layout, leaving me totally bamboozled.

So many questions I hadn’t considered. Will we need an oven? Many European-made motorhomes don’t have one. But could we live without, say, roasting a chicken for 12 months? Or even (look away now, healthy eaters) heating up a supermarket pizza?

Do we want one with a bed that pulls down from the cab roof to give us more floor space? Or would it be better to have one with a fixed bed platform overhead so we could use it for storage and sleep on the seats?

Can we afford what it looks increasingly likely that we will require – a small house on wheels? Can we afford the fuel it will guzzle at 25 miles per gallon?
And most pressing of all, can I visualise myself at the wheel of such a behemoth? No I can’t. When I sit in the driving seat I can’t see out of the back. I’ll have to rely on the wing mirrors – which are, admittedly, massive. Good lord, this is scary.


No comments:

Post a Comment